Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Heart Of Darkness: Part 3

I had this post in the planning, but the suicide of Rick Warren's son over the weekend has people talking, especially in the Christian community. So, my blog post about depression is joining many out there this week, which, I think, is a discussion that is MUCH needed. I'm a huge believer in finding the silver lining, and I think that is what's happening here. There is a stigma concerning depression among Christians, and it needs to stop NOW. If we start talking about this, more people can get the help they need.

First, let's look at a few biblical accounts of depression. Moses began to feel burdened by the wailing of the Israelites in the desert and called out to the Lord. In Numbers 11:14-15 he says, “I cannot carry all these people by myself; the burden is too heavy for me. If this is how you are going to treat me, put me to death right now- if I have found favor in your eyes- and do not let me face my own ruin.” The Lord responds by calling Moses together with 70 of Israel’s elders. Verse 17 says, “I will come down and speak with you there, and I will take of the Spirit that is on you and put the Spirit on them.  They will help you carry the burden of the people so that you will not have to carry it alone.”

Elijah had just successfully defeated the prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel, but his life is threatened by Jezebel. He ran for his life to Beersheba. He journeyed into the desert and prayed this prayer to God: “I have had enough, Lord! Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” The Lord provided him with food twice. An angel said to him, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you.” He had compassion for Elijah.

Job has a whole book detailing his depression and suffering. Lamentations is another book full of laments written by Jeremiah about his distress over the destruction of Jerusalem. And finally, Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane was certainly distressed. Mark 14:33-34 reads, “He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. ‘My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,’ he said to them. ‘Stay here and keep watch.’”

So, is depression spiritual weakness? Well, I believe the answer to this is in the scriptures. In all of these examples I’ve just mentioned, not once does God rebuke. Instead, he shows compassion when these men are emotionally distraught. In the story of Job, his friends are convinced that he must have sinned and brought all of this pain on himself. God rebukes Job’s friends. Job 42:7 says, “After the Lord had said these things to Job, he said to Eliphaz the Temanite, ‘I am angry with you and your two friends because you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.’”

Depression is part of God’s design. He knew that we would have losses in life and that we would struggle with them. Depression helps us release that which we have lost. Grief, sorrow, and despair are all God-given emotions. As I researched and read after receiving my diagnosis, there seemed to be a debate over medication. Does a Christian with depression really NEED medication? Shouldn't they just pray harder and study scripture more and eventually God will bring them out of it? I can’t tell you how hurtful this is for a fellow Christian to hear. A depressed Christian is not a spiritually weak person. Depression is medical condition. The brain is chemically unbalanced, and this is repaired by anti-depressants. Do I believe that God could take away a Christian’s depression with prayer and petition? Of course; I couldn’t be a Christian if I didn’t believe that God can do any and all things. However, we would never dream of telling a diabetic that they wouldn’t be dependant on insulin if their faith in God was what it should be. Who would tell a cancer patient that they don't need chemo or surgery, they just need to spend more time in prayer?! Why is depression different? At the same time, I don’t believe some magic pill is going to take your depression away. Depression is best treated with a combination of therapies. Counseling should go hand in hand with medication. Talking to anyone is part of the recovery. You can’t expect to get better while keeping everything bottled up inside, even if you are on an antidepressant.

Because of my family history, and because I've had 2 prior bouts with clinical depression, my doctor feels, and I agree, that it's best that I stay on an antidepressant, possibly for life. Call it a crutch, if you must. But when I find myself sliding into that pit again every winter, even ON the medication, I know I'm making the right choice. I'll talk more about my recovery in the next post. Gotta go; the warm weather is beckoning me outside, and there's yard work to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment