Friday, January 15, 2021

Winter Sabbatical 2021: Week 2

It’s sunny and beautiful as I write, which I appreciate even more than usual. Tuesday and Wednesday were gray, windy, and rainy. After staying cooped up inside for 2 days, I savored my walk on the beach Thursday. In 2 weeks time, I’ve acquired a fine collection of sea glass. My days are uneventful. Every morning, I open my kitchen windows and the sliding glass doors to the back patio. It’s a way to feel like I’m outside while I’m writing/editing. The temperatures are mild enough that I can stay cool from the cross-breeze alone. The sounds of the ocean and boats are a pleasant soundtrack. I see the maintenance man, an older gentleman, outside my window everyday, and Manuel always greets me with joy and enthusiasm. This street is a mixture of renovated beach homes and dilapidated structures waiting to be loved. I’ve had a couple of interesting encounters with some curious passers-by. As I was washing dishes one day, a car stopped and 2 women got out. One of them asked me something in Spanish, of course, and I had to explain that my Spanish isn’t great. Fortunately, one woman spoke some English, and she asked if the house was available to rent. I’d forgotten about the sign out front with a phone number for rental inquiries. I told her I was here until March. Another day, I was writing at the dining room table, when I heard voices (in English this time) coming from my front porch. I looked over just as 2 women and a young girl peeked into my windows. I think because I don’t have a car out front, they must’ve assumed no one was home. They were surprised to see me and embarrassed to be caught. We exchanged hellos before they scurried away. 


Last weekend, I picked up my first stack of warm and fresh corn tortillas. The aroma was sweet and comforting, and I wondered if anyone has thought to make a Corn Tortilla candle? I’ve made a couple of authentic dishes that I’m proud of. Last Sunday, I made huevos motuleños. I combined elements from 2 recipes I found on Pinterest (here and here) to get as close as possible to the version I had at the cafe. I was quite pleased with the results and will definitely make it again. On Monday, I made enchiladas verdes. I’d considered using a jarred sauce, but in the end I decided to try a homemade one using this recipe. There’s a definite learning curve to this oven. Now that I’ve figured out what I’m doing, my enchiladas will be much better next time. For my first go, the sauce was tangy and the corn tortillas were sweet. It’s obviously more work to make my own sauce, but I happen to have some free time. I’ve also made copious amounts of guacamole. I’m running out of ways to make meat, rice, and beans interesting. There’s a limited variety of spices here, most of them being suited to Mexican dishes. It’s difficult to make many other types of cuisine. I’ll have to get creative. 


I’ve done a little writing, keeping a daily journal of my time here. On Monday I began editing some of the material I’ve written for my one-of-these-days memoir. I’ve written loads of stories, but they can’t or shouldn’t all be published. I need to decide which stories work best together to make a cohesive book.  


There is a farmer’s market close by every Monday, so I plan to check that out next week. I’d love to see some of the Mayan ruins and cenotes (natural swimming pools in caves or sinkholes) in the area. This morning, I looked at some tours on the AirBNB app. There’s a few agencies listed in the welcome book for this house as well. I’ve contacted one to find out if they’re even doing tours right now; waiting to hear back. I’m a little intimidated by the thought of going alone, so I may wait until Tim’s visit in 2 weeks. I can’t wait to see him again. I have nothing more to report here, so adios until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment